Thursday 9 August 2007

Afternoon tea, choir and kamikaze birds

The bush chapel at Mildura Inland Botanic Gardens.


Hi folks,

You are invited to afternoon tea. We had friends in yesterday and I was inspired to take a photo of the table. And have I had trouble getting photos onto this blog! Here is some of my recent china acquisitions, and a hand embroidered table cloth which was worked by my grandmother. I was going to set the table with another cloth she had done, but i couldn't find it. It has beautiful deep red roses embroidered on it. I have turned the house upside down, but no can find! (I am nasty enough to think that my sister may have borrowed it. I will apologise if I happen to find it elsewhere!) However, they were impressed by the pink setting. I cannot resist buying fine china and my collection is still growing. I think it may have to do with growing up in the era of elegant afternoon teas and suppers. My family was not wealthy by any means, just ordinary working class folk, but there was always nice china for afternoon tea, and even at dinner. Practical kitchen china for everyday use, and the fine cups came out each weekend for guests. Our house was always overflowing with visitors, whic in retrospect was very nice. But I suspect it has led to my dislike of crowds. If ever we had staying visitors I was never sure where I might be sleeping at night, because the family always gave up beds to visitors. (Whether I wanted to, or not!) When I was older, and even when I was engaged, I often had to fight my way over sleeping bodies to find my spot to sleep. My family dreamt of mansions, but lived in a very ordinary Victorian cottage. Ah well, that is also probably why I am paranoid about my bedroom space. But the table was always beautifully set in our house. My youngest son calls me Mrs. Bucket, and my dear friend next door sometimes rings and asks 'What's for afternoon tea, Hyacinth?' Honestly, some people seem to be terrified of fine china. I think I should start a movement -'Bring Back the Elegant AFternoon Tea!"

(Thephotos are all over the place, with apologies. I am still not good at placing them. But I think I have worked out where I went wrong.)
Above the afternoon tea photo is me being reflective in the Bush Chapel at Mildura. This is one of the most peaceful places I have ever been too. The birds sing their hymns to the beauty of the day, and the wind swishes an accompaniment as it blows through the trees. Better than any human choir I have ever heard, I can tell you. It is lovely to find these little secluded places in which to take time out. Obviously I wasnt't alone, but himself headed off to take phot[s around the place, after taking this shot. You may be able to discern the rough hewn red gum pulpit at the left back of the phote, in front of the left hand 'pews'. There is also a rough hewn altar which can't be properly discerned here. It would be a lovely place to hold a wedding.
Yes, we finally got away to Mildura. Family dramas interrupted, but himself refused to come home, thank goodness. I am not sure about this role of family matriarch. My own boys are fine, but a dear and close cousin is not but, I am being a good listener, and we cut our holiday short by only one day to come and comfort her.
It was so warm and comfortable in Mildura. It made me realise just how very cold it has been in Melbourne this winter. We spent some time sitting on the banks of the River Murray soaking up sunshine, and watching the paddleboats churn past, and the ducks and pelicans preening themselves. I think pelicans are such graceful birds when in flight. Not so graceful on land, but imposing none the less.
I decided to rejoin the church choir, and am still trying to work out what range my voice has. I started off with the altos until the choir leader told me that I had a nice sporano voice, but I find soprano a bit high. Maybe I am a mezzo? Anyway, I manage to blend in reasonably well with the others until I get to know the tune, then I belt along with the best of them. I haven't yet been told that I am not holding the tune but...I don't think I will become rich and famous by singing! And I do like to sing along with whatever happens to be playing on the radio, or the CD. I love to sing 'Mietta's waltz song' sotto voce, and I adore 'Softly wakes my heart' from Samson and Delilah, and can keep pace with Marilyn Horne until her alto rises a bit too high for me. Well, we all have to try these things, don't we! I can sing the Vera Lynn songs reasonable well, but who wants to hear those these days!! (Me?)
The possum has finally been evicted from our roof. He was too clever by half to get caught in the trap but, the possum catcher conceived a cunning plan and blocked possum's door with rolls of newspaper, then returned an hour after dark and blocked the hole. We had heard the possum leaving his comfy abode, and we heard him trying frantically to get back in but he has now moved on, I hope. We haven't even heard him boot scooting the last few nights. I just love possums, but not in my roof thank you! We still have a kamikaze bird, attacking his reflection in our kitchen window. He began the assault whilst we were overseas, and has continued on, although with a little less frequency at the moment. I don't know whether he has realised he doesn't have competition, or is just exhausted, because I am sure he hasn't been taking time to feed. With our friends coming to afternoon tea yesterday I decided to clean the awful mess off the window, and I must admit that it looked much better, but not long after I had exhausted myself cleaning, my window cleaner arrived and did it all again! Ah well, them's the breaks. The bird has shown renewed frenzy today, simply because his reflection was clearer but hopefully the fascination with self will wear off -SOON!
But, enough. Have a good week. Next time, I will hopefully have sorted out the photos and get them correctly placed.




















6 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks so much for your very kind comments about my blog. Gosh, you have stamina!

Very interested in the picture of your back garden. You're right: it's very different from a northern hemisphere one. One day, maybe, we might get to Australia. But it's a long long way.

Gina E. said...

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with your photos on this post - they look fine to me! Your dining table always looks charming (except when Mr B. has accounting books all over it - desecration!). Mildura looks/sounds gorgeous. I love it anywhere up on the Murray.

Lady of the house said...

Fan of KUA, here. Lovely blog!

Alice said...

Your table looks lovely. I look forward to more of your words and pictures.

Unknown said...

I love the Mildura Botanic Gardens. They are quite something and that Bush Chapel is inspiring. For a long time I had an album of photos of the Gardens on The Trad Pad playing away.

Blessings and bliss

Jeanette said...

love your table setting looks very inviting.And your trip to Mildura looks very interesting specially the out door chapel.