Saturday 11 August 2007

More Mildura, pioneers and Dan and the Ducks



T
Scrub and orange grove at Mildura
Feeding the ducks
Well, at the top, a patch of Mallee Scrub and beneath it a citrus grove. Can you imagine looking at that scrub and then visualising a grove of oranges? Not to mention grapevines and vineyards! My mind would have been totally in la la land after months of walking, or bouncing along in a bullock dray, from Melbourne to Mildura in the hope of starting a new life and making a fortune. Ha! I think those early pioneers didn't have much money to spare, if any, and it was hard labour to make the scrub habitable before they could begin their 'farming'. I can't imagine the hardships the women and children must have suffered, but look, here we all are reaping the benefit of the labour and deprivations. The photos were taken in and from the Inland Botanic Gardens. It was lovely to walk along the dirt tracks and pathways, admiring the remnant bush, and the new plantings of many other native plants, not necessarily indigenous to the Mallee. I mean, roses? There is a magnificent rose garden her in Mildura, but of course it wasn't in bloom this time, but many of the native plants were in flower and were delightful. I was pleased to fall into the information centre and have a reviving cup of tea. It was a particularly warm day, but enjoyable for all that.
The bottom photo is of Daniel and me feeding the ducks on the banks of the Yarra River at Warrandyte. Daniel loves to feed the ducks, but doesn't like them at all, as you might be able to tell from the photo. He nearly toppled over the back of the seat, trying to get away from the ducks which he felt were to close for comfort. But if I threw some bread at the birds he became most annoyed and insisted that he wanted to give them the bread. What a circus. He also hated the pigeons which were there for the free lunch, and kept flying to close to him. He did laugh when a duck walked right over a pigeon, nearly squashing it into oblvion. However, the bread ran out and the ducks moved onto the next group of people who looked as though they made be about to dispense largesse!
I just love Warrandyte. It has retained its small village air, depite the encroaching housing developments all around it. The Yarra ambles along, in time with the many walkers who make good use of the walking paths along its banks. It is a very relaxing place to be, despite the number of tourists who go there of a weekend. We tend to go through the week, hen there are not quite so many cars and people. There are lots of lovely little coffee spots and, the most wonderful antique shop, called 'Ratty and Moe's'. (Someone knew their books!) I often browse around the shop and I nearly always find something inexpensive that I am unable to resist, much to Ray's disgust - sometimes! There is also a large playground where both of our youngest grandsons like to play, despite the pigeons that abound near the baker's shop at the edge of the playground. It is a gathering place for young mums and their infants, and becomes quite noisy sometimes. It is also a place where some people insist on tying their dogs whilst they have a coffee. The poor pooches protest loudly everytime someone walks near their owners. Ah well, one must take the good along with the bad. Don't get me wrong. I am fond of dogs, especially well behaved ones.
I am still trying to find the photos I took today to post but......I just know that out there in cyberspace there is a large storage area for lost computer items. You know, the eails that get lost in transit, and phots that are on the computer, but just refuse to be posted to the blog. They probably get together and have wonderful gossip sessions and parties.
It's late, and I am getting a sore neck. I seem to have been on the computer all day, with various things that needed to be done.
Hopefully I can post the latest lot of phots when my 'expert' comes around to help.
Cheers!

No comments: