Saturday 1 September 2007

Apple blossom time, Melbourne on the Yarra and Galahs

It's not quite apple blossom time here in Australia. The above picture was taken in Spring in England, at Snowshill Manor in the Cotswolds to be precise. But, of course, our own apple blossom will be just as beautiful in a few weeks time. I was discovering how good the digital camera was for taking 'portraits' of flowers, which I have never been able to do on my old camera, well, not this clearly anyway.

I have been into the city today, and was so disgruntled by the time that I arrived, that I thought I'd best hunt out some photos to remind myself that Melbourne is usually quite beautiful on a sunny day. This is actually from last February, towards the end of one of our very hottest summers, which seemed to go on forever, and was still warm after we returned from colder climes on the 1st May. Mind you, we were in England during the warmest April on record. The 18 degree heat was beautiful after our run of high 30s before we went away.
However, I was disgruntled because I chose to go into the city by train, and I was surrounded by people, four of whom were talking very loudly into the mobile phones, in four different languages. Sorry folks, but I don't need to hear your business on the train. I was trying to read, as I know the passing scenery as well as I know anything, and peace and quiet should have been the order of the day. People shouting on the assumption that those on the other end of the telephone were deaf, and someone had the nerve to share their music with us. Not for long, thank goodness, because I was feeling quite murderous at having my trip so disrupted.
Today, Melbourne was not at all as I expect it to be. Crowds of people wandering aimlessly around and getting in my way. I am always amazed at how one person, one mind you, can take up and entire footpath. It is almost as if they have a rear vision mirror just so that they can step into my pathway as I try to dodge by. As you can see, Melbourne on the Yarra really is quite a
pretty place. People enjoying themselves in the sunshine, watching the passing parade. From this angle it is not a towering city and looks as though it should be comfortable.
The above photo is looking back towards Princes Bridge and the city. Along the Yarra, especially on the opposite bank is a great place to be on a pleasantly warm sunny day. Lots of attractions, and many, many wonderful restaurants looking out over the water. You can just make out some of the small ferries and water craft that will take you sailing along the river, or around the bay to Williamstown, another good place for restaurants.


Galahs feeding in our garden The above picture was taken towards the end of last summer, and we had to race out and take photos with our new toy (the digital). The galahs had been hanging around in flocks all summer, obviously in the hope of seed and water. They had spent some time in the gum trees, nipping the flower buds and seed pods off. They are nearly as bad as the cockatoos - of which we had many last summer - for chomping flowers off. If you happen to stand under a tree as they are feeding, one is freely showered with flowers, pods and sometimes something nasty. We all kow the expression 'ya stupid galah' but frankly, these birds are very smart, as are all birds I think (except our stupid kamikaze noisy miner which is still attacking the kitchen window) but I suppose there is always an exception to the rule of smart! Nature certainly gave the galah a lovely colour combination. Their grey, pink and white is delightful when a flock settles in a bare tree.
I was reading one of Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher novels the other day, and this description was very apt for how I was feeling just at that time.'....rummaging furiously
in a mind which appeared to have entirely lost its card index' D'you ever have one of those days? I have more than I like these days, so the coming trip to the West is starting to look pretty good.
Happy days.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

Great photos; know what you mean about sharing other peoples mobile phone conversations. Some of them sound so personal and I almost feel embarrassed at over hearing them!