Monday 3 September 2007

Roaming the ranges

Above is a photo of a brown boronia megastima. It is one of our most insignificant flowers, as you can see. Small brown round bells growing in masses along the stems of the shrub. The inside of the flowers are a deep mustard yellow colour. You could easily pass it by on a ramble, except suddenly your senses are overpowered by one of the sweetest perfumes on this earth. Even if only one flower is open, it tends to scent the air around. Perfumiers have tried for many years to emulate the beautiful perfume, but it just can't be done. There are many boronia scented products around, but it is not like the natural perfume. These days boronias also come in green and purple. The perfume is still strong and beautiful, but this is the original of course. This is one of several that grow around our garden, and it really is a case of 'spring is in the air'.




epacris impressa.

The above plant is the stae emblem of Victoria.

' I know a bank whereon the wild clematis grows,

Where correas and the nodding boronia blows,

Quite overcanopied with eaucalypt and banksia,

With sweet bursaria and epacris impressa.'

I have to apologise to the great Will Shakespeare for the above parodyof his verse in Midsummer Night's dream, but honestly, our banks of wildflowers are just a delight to see. The wild epacris is in two shades of pink and there is a white one. They were growing along all the embankments on both sides of the Melba Highway when we drove up to Kinglake today. It had started off a lovely sunny day, but gradually degenerated into grey and very cold. It didn't stop me from taking photos though. At one stage we were driving along through the bush, admiring wattles and epacris and various other native plants, including the occasional grevillea. Suddenly a large brown bird, with a long draggin tail flashed across the highway - yes - a lyrebird, which disappeared into the bush alongside the road. Himself stood on the brake, and I dived out of the car to see if I could see the elusive bird.

It popped out of the bush just as I stepped forward and the noise startled it back into cover. I stood around for ages, camera poised, but never saw the bird again. I certainly heard him singing in his imitative style though. It is nice to know that these birds can still be seen, if only as they flash across in front of cars. This bird did not become a road fatality, as some do.

We then drove into de Bortoli's winery, just so that I could photograph the view back towards Yarra Glen, so that you can see how lovely the rolling valley and hills can be, despite the dark sky. The vines are marching in straight rows towards the shadow on the hill, not even in leaf at this time of the year, but the prospect was still rather beautiful.

This part of Melbourne was settled originally by Scottish migrants, some of whom came for gold, and others who decided to settle because the scenery was reminiscent of Scotland. Not so much now of course, but I can imagine how it must have been in the early 1800s.

Gulf Station, a bit closer to Yarra Glen was built by a Scottish family, who lived there for many years, and actually built a small school for the local children on their property. The property is now owned by our National Trust, and is fascinating to look around, especially the early timber farmhouse. They have farm animals on display, including the wonderful shire horses. My little boys love the horses, and the ducks, and especially
the pigs. Lovely, large black pigs, who will no doubt have a litter by now, so I must take the boys up to investigate. There are also cows, and on special days they have demonstrations of how the old time farmer used to plough, and a blacksmith making wares etc. Well worth a day trip when these things are happening.

The picture to the right is another taken at de Bortoli's just across the way from the restaurant. Have you been to the restaurant? The chef creates the most delicious Italian cuisine, interspersed with dishes that could come from anywhere in Europe. I especially like the creme brulee dessert. The wines are very good as well.

In fact folks, I love every part of the Yarra Valley, and will be out and about taking more photographs over the next few weeks, just so that you can see how very lush and well endowed with wonderful wineries and restaurants this part of our state is. I like nothing better than to breakfast at Chateau Yering on any morning of the week. We usually save it for a special occasion like a birthday, anniversary or a getting together with infrequently seen friends. Balloons take off from the paddocks opposite the Chateau and then the balloonists come into the dining room for breakfast. I like watching the balloons come down, never being early enough to see them go up!

Hmm! I think I will go and plan several day outings for me and him where we can take in the scenery and the good food and wine.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers





6 comments:

Gina E. said...

If Him doesn't want to go day tripping and photosnapping, remember me! You know the days..

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,
Great blog!! What a good idea and way better than writign ur memoirs!! (But whats that bout our street looking like a used car yard? haha I know its bad, but when we all live with our parents until we're 27 now, its hard to park the cars!!! ;)
Love CAth

mrsnesbitt said...

I am working in the garden right now...tidying up and resurectung my hanging baskets! LOL! Just 5 minute break then back to it! LOL!

Thanks for visiting my post, a great exercise to see what makes us happy!

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh my!!

These pictures are just beautiful!

I'm so glad I came here!

Junie

Alice said...

Your winery photograph is so beautiful! I'm looking forward to your cookie recipe.

Val said...

Hi Helen, I'm finally getting around to visiting your blog. Met you face to face BEFORE reading your blog - now THAT's different!

I'm commenting on this post because you mentioned epacris impressa, and by coincidence, which life is so full of, I saw this being planted en masse at our local park. I really liked it, told hubby about it and he too thinks it deserves a place in our garden. And I didn't know that it was Victoria's state flower!!