Tuesday 10 July 2007

This is us at Cape Cod, on a very cold, very gray day. It turned into a very wet day as we were making our way home. We didn't get to see the 'smart' parts of the Cape, which were apparently some miles across the Cape from where we were. However, it was interesting to see it, even though most of the day was spent getting there and home again. Got to say, I was very pleased to be back at my cousin's home in Dedham, Boston, and the warmth. We did have a lovely meal at an Irish pub, almost empty, but the service was great (of course) and we enjoyed the meal. It helped make us feel less cold, of course.
Gina has spent most of this afternoon teaching me how to upload photos onto the blog and I am telling you, it took forever. The actual loading was quite fast, but we waited probably fifteen minutes at least, for the system to tell us that the photo was done. Not being computer experts, we are hoping some clever reader will be able to tell us what went wrong, or if it just my machine. I seem to have a 'Uri Geller' effect on technical items, so maybe that's all it is. I shall have to get someone else to do my posts.
It has been very cold here at Eltham today, it only reached double figures at 3pm this afternoon, then not very far into double figures either. Mind you, it is nice to be experiencing a cool winter, after all the years of mild weather. (I am justifying complaining about the cold here!)
I still managed to get into the garden and pot up some flowers for instant colour. Ray and I have moved a planting urn onto the upper level in front of a trellis we erected last year. It is to be a focal point until the fast growing pandorea takes over. It won't belong, as pandoreas are notoriously vigorous in their growing habits. I figure it will look lovely from our back window and from next door's garden as well. I will post a picture of it when it blooms, which will no doubt happen in the spring. There are some flower buds appearing already.
It has been a busy day today. First the plumber, then the possum man, to tell us that yes, we do have a possum in the roof, which accounts for all the odd noises we keep hearing overhead. He will place a possum cage on the roof near the entrance it has found into the roof, and hopefully catch it so that I can give it a great lecture and let it go once the hole is blocked up. We have also had people in to quote on painting the outside of the house. I guess all this expense means that we won't be going overseas again in the forseeable future. But never mind, I have decided that I really do like my home and have reached the age where comfort is very important in this cold weather.
For non-Australian reader, if any, the possum who has taken up residence is a ringtail. Not very large with a long curly tail with which it uses to get around the trees. They are very cute little crreatures, with lovely pink, woofly noses and long whiskers, and great liquid brown eyes. But not so cute when in the roof, and eating plants. Still, the possums were here first.

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

Oh well done! Congratulations on the photo, dear friend!! I haven't had a chance to leave a query on Blogspot's forum yet, so hopefully someone might post some helpful advice here.
So it's a Ringtail in residence? When you've caught him, can we have him? I'd love one as a pet. We could keep him in one of Ken's unused aviaries...just kidding.