Sunday 15 July 2007

Favourite place 2


This, I think, is one of my most favourite places in the world, that I have seen. Glastonbury Abbey, in Wiltshire. Aeons of worship have made this one of Britain's most sacred places. And you can actually feel the sanctity (in the nicest way) I have been here several times, in different seasons, in rain and in sunshine, and each time I feel I want to stay here forever. The peace just seems to engulf one to the point where the outside worl is forgotten. Even the rain on theis last visit didn't worry me. Thre greeness, the ruins, the trees were spellbiding. It must have been magnificient before Henry Vlll dissolved the monasteries all around Britain, We have been to a number of sacred sites around the country, but none captured me or affected me as deeply as Glastonbury.
Forget the myths and legends which abound about the place. The gravesite of King Arthur and his Queen Guinevere was 'discovered' here in medieval times. A fortuitous discovery if one is a sceptic about some things mythological. But, it inspired the people of the time, and brought in a lot of money to the abbey, after which they were able to continue building.
The wonderful Glastonbury thorntree, which flowers twice a year instead of the usual once, and shich supposedly struck root when Joseph of Arimathea plunged his staff into the ground. It is wonderful to ponder on this small tree, knowing that it is a cutting of a cutting &c of the original. But it never fails to send a frisson down my spine as I think of ancient times, and that perhaps Joseph did bring the Christ to Britain as yet another legend has it!
The little town itself is full of atmosphere, and is a strong centre of alternative religion and healing. WE spent some time at Chalice Well some years ago, and again I found myself totally immersed in peace and beauty. Oviously the centuries of worship has worked its way into the very fabric of the building and even the atmosphere, not to be dislodged my any form of moderntiy, which just seems to blend in.
Wiltshire itself is full of all sorts of ancient history, some of which one accepts without fear or prejudice, and some areas which make one feel a little uneasy. Stonehenge, whilst being a little awesome, never fails to astound me, and my own personal theory is that something very small is missing from the place, and when and if, it is found the mystery of Stonehenge will be solved. All the modern druids in the world will never understand or solve the mystery of this very ancient place.
The Valley of the White Horse (Uffington) is a place that really spooked me when we drove through ti. I had terribly fearful feelings until we were well and truly out of there. Again, an ancient religion held sway in this area.
But enough! I bakc in 2007 and am now going down to the family room to watch the wquare box and the Midsomer Murders.

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

Just because I haven't commented, doesn't mean I'm not reading! So glad you are able to post photos now - the accompanying descriptions are wonderful!