Saturday 7 July 2007

More musings

We have been into the National Gallery Australian collection at Federation square, and it was just wonderful. I had no idea that our impressionists were so very prolific. I hope to be able to post some photos for you in the not too distant future, when Gina gets around to help me do so.
We took ourselves to the Gallery Members lounge for a quick cuppa and biscuit before we hit the display gallery, and I was amazed at the number of children, in company with grandparents, who were in the lounge. I took my coffee and sat near the window that overlooks all the activity in the building, and everywhere I looked there were children in cafes, in restaurants, and just generally being with their families, all of whom were looking rather stressed. I suddenly realised that, in today's society, there is no area of life where children are not around. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind this at all, as I love children and tend to take my grandchildren around with me during the holidays, but there is nowhere for an adult to go to for a quiet moment when out shopping ,or browsin or whatever. Which then led me to feel sorry for parents who never get a break from their little ones, because not everybody has extended family to take over when a quiet moment is needed. Perhaps I am being a bit over reactive here, but I feel that a society is growing up who will never know the pleasure and excitement of doing something new, because it will all have been done by the time they are 10! My own elder grandchildren have done everything, including the cruise and air trips to various parts of the country...and good for them but, goodness me, I had my first plane trip when I was 22, and my first cruise when I was 32. I haven't been on another cruise, but decided that the confinement of a ship was not for me, despite the multitudinous activities provided!
Some time ago, we took my two younger grandchildren to one of our state parks, to get up close and personal with kookaburras. We discovered a spot some time ago, where one could have a pleasant time in a quiet bush surrounding, sitting at a rustic table and enjoying afternoon tea. Fruit scones and thermos tea. Quite pleasant really, until....
Four kookaburras landed on the picnic table and began to make a grab for the food. The little boys were nervously delighted and I was seriously annoyed when one great bird fluttered onto the edge of my mug, immersing one of his feet in my tea, and looked hard at the hand in which I was hiding remnants of my scone. Not moving, the look said, until you give me that scone. Lost my scone and couldn't drink my tea, to boot! Oh well, I did want to be up close and personal with the natives!
It is a true winter's day here, very grey, cold and dare I say, miserable. But, we are still enjoying the rain that is falling beneficently from the skies, nourishing our thirsty gardens. The plants don't mind at all how frequently it rains, as they have had enough of drought conditions. I see in our newspapers that our police are interviewing four more doctors over the aborted terrorist plan for London. That is a truly scary thought, that medical people could take lives so rashly and terribly! I did notice in London when we were there, that the threat of attack hasn't stopped people from travelling the world. Not even me!
Cheers to you all!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Goodness me, it must be the fashion to blog about scones this week!

I note your appreciation of rain. If you had spent all June and July in Britain this year, you wouldn't be feeling so appreciative!